Friday, March 4, 2011

My Personal Challenge for 2011 Part Three: Spiritual

This year I have decided to get myself Relationally, Emotionally, Spiritually and Physically in shape for the use of God.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says “…do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your Body.”

I believe that working on all these aforementioned things and getting them in shape will bring glory to God in my life. I realize that something this big in my life needs to be chronicled for my sake but also for the sake of others. For the journey itself could be a blessing to others. So, I will chronicle my journey right here on this blog for the 8 of you that may care ☺. I started this process New Years Day. So, let me take a couple of days to catch you up to where I am.


Spiritually:
➪ I began reading 30 chapters of the Bible a week. Then found two accountability partners that would agree to do it with me and hold me accountable to my reading challenge as well as other important areas of my life.
o Because of the way we have it set up, I have read through 1 Corinthians 14 times!!! Which has been incredible!! Every time I read it I learn something else or I get a deeper understanding on something I learned in earlier reads.
o I read a ton of books each year and because of my vocation they mostly about Christian topics. I have loved 1 Corinthians so much and have seen my love for God grow so vigorously in the past two months of reading it that I decided to make the Bible the only book about faith I am going to read this year! Call it my Daniel fast. I want to see what God will do in my life if I only get my views about his Word from Him. Funny thing is many Christian that I tell this to look at me as if I am about to spit on their child. I am not sure why. Many comments to me about this challenge seem to imply that I should not just read the Bible by myself without someone seminary trained to tell me what it means. There is some well intended wisdom in that for that is how many heresies came into existence. I also, know that most of the divisions in the Church today are inspired by seminary trained leaders. So I think I’ll take my chances with Paul’s writings to Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:7 when he tells him, “Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything.” So I will present myself to God, “as one approved, a worker who has not need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.”
➪ My Church is reading through the Bible this year starting at the Beginning.
o I am hearing new things about my life and about God from stories that I have known and read for years. It is unbelievable!! God reveals different truths to me from single words or phrases. I feel overwhelmed by the blessings of His wisdom in my life.
➪ I look forward to seeing who I have become at the end of this year with my steady diet of God’s Word.

Tune in tomorrow for the final area of my challenge and what God has done so far for me Physically!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Markus --- you're putting out some very good wisdom with these blogs. Thanks for not only putting it out there, but putting yourself out there, too. Great courage which will gain you great growth ! I appreciate your transparency and your willingness to do as you say, "step out of the box".
    Leslie McGill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,
    so glad that you are being blessed by these posts. I felt that if I was really going to give God the glory this year that I needed to share my journey and allow other people to learn from my mistakes and learnings. Like I said I am so glad people are reading and responding.

    ReplyDelete